Sandgate Year 4 Blog

Join the Sharks and Stingrays on their learning journey

25 November

‘If a child eats popping candy and then drinks coke, will they explode?’

This term, we have been learning about States of Matter in Science. In yesterday’s Science lesson, we posed the question ‘if a child eats popping candy and then drinks coke, will they explode?’ We were desperate to find out the answer, so we set up an experiment to find out what happens when you mix coke and popping candy together!

Here is an example of a recount of the experiment “Firstly, we poured some popping candy into a balloon and then attached the balloon to the top of the open bottle of coke, making sure not to spill any popping candy in yet. Next, we tipped the balloon up and let the popping candy fall into the coke. We were amazed to see the reaction! The popping candy fizzed with the coke and suddenly the balloon started to inflate all by itself! We found out that when the coke (a liquid, which contains an acid) and the popping candy (a solid) mixed together, they created a gas called ‘carbon dioxide’ by neutralizing each other. The pressure of the gases in the bottle (air plus carbon dioxide) inflated the balloon” (R- Giraffes).

We were so amazed by the balloon inflating that we were eager to begin our next experiment, finding out whether you would explode if you ‘drank vinegar and ate baking powder’. “We poured vinegar into water and then put baking powder into a balloon. We carefully put the balloon onto the neck of the bottle of water and, when we were ready, tipped the balloon and poured the baking powder into the vinegar and water. It went all cloudy and when we shook the bottle the ingredients all mixed together and also created carbon dioxide, inflating the balloon. Unfortunately, the balloon did not inflate as much as it did with the coke and popping candy though!” (E- Giraffes).

Although we didn’t get to drink any coke or eat any popping candy, we loved doing these experiments!

Here are some photographs of the scientists (the Giraffes and the Armadillos) at work!

IMG_0413 IMG_0466 IMG_0465 IMG_0463 IMG_0461 IMG_0459 IMG_0458 IMG_0457 IMG_0456 IMG_0447 IMG_0446 IMG_0441 IMG_0440 IMG_0433 IMG_0432 IMG_0431 IMG_0429 IMG_0428 IMG_0427 IMG_0426 IMG_0425 IMG_0424 IMG_0423 IMG_0422 IMG_0421 IMG_0420

7 Responses to “‘If a child eats popping candy and then drinks coke, will they explode?’”

1. Edie-May says:

wow! it was so much fun and I had to do it again if I didn’t I would explode I really loved it because sometimes you couldn’t even get the balloon on!

2. Jasmine Verkaik says:

It was the most fun science lesson ever.
    Itttttttt wasssssss soooooo funnnnn.

3. Max Cullen says:

This was the most exciting science lesson I have ever had!

4. Jasmine Verkaik says:

The people will not explode they will just fill up with air.

5. Ak says:

This was sooooooooooooo fun!!!!!

6. BA says:

It was amazing! My favourite part was putting the popping candy in the coke and watching how big the balloon got!

7. livvi ralph says:

I loved doing this it was FUN!