Sandgate Year 4 Blog

Join the Sharks and Stingrays on their learning journey

24 September

Life in the Trenches 22.9.14

Today, we were using our ‘Empathy and Listening’ learning muscle to develop our understanding of life in the trenches during WW1.

Picture1

We acted out some of the daily tasks/chores that the soldiers had to do when they were in the trenches.

DSCF0153 DSCF0155 DSCF0156 DSCF0159 DSCF0162 DSCF0163 DSCF0164 DSCF0165 DSCF0166

We also wrote letters from the trenches home to our parents, imagining that we were soldiers in the trenches. We were using all of our senses to try to begin to imagine what it was like.

Monday 22nd September 1916

Dear Mum and Dad,

I’m really missing you. I cant believe how long it has been since I saw you last. It really smells in the trenches and I am all squished, but I have made lots of new friends. Unfortunately, three of them have died, but that is just how life is at war. This life is like living on a knife’s edge! One of my main duties is being on guard. I am so hungry that I worry I am more than likely going to die of hunger than be shot. I haven’t had anything to eat for four whole days.

I so, so, so want to come back to you.

Love from,

Sam xxx

(Sam, Giraffe Class)

Tom kindly brought in some WW1 artefacts to share with the rest of the class. If you have any artefacts, stories or interesting facts about WW1, we would love to be able to share them with you!

24 Responses to “Life in the Trenches 22.9.14”

1. toby says:

I have enjoyed learning about World War one, my fact is the youngest British soldier was only 12 years old, he lied about his age.

2. Tom McC says:

My Great Great Uncle Thomas McCoubrie was killed in WW1 in the battle of Aubers Ridge, May 1915. His name is on a memorial to the missing at Ploegstreet in Belgium which I have visited. My Great Great Grandfather Bevan was the Captain of a boat in Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire and during WW1 it was used for mine sweeping.

3. Kyal Collins says:

I enjoyed learning about WW1 and life in the trenches. The trenches were very wet and damp and solders used to get trench foot and some had fear of rats.

4. Sam R says:

I enjoyed my WW1 learning.
    These are my facts:
    the youngest british soldier was 12 years old, his name was Sidney Lewis, he lied about his age to get into the army.

12,000,000 letters was delivered to the front line every week.

5. Axel Pigott says:

in the trenches they used a tool called the thomas splint to re-arrange broken bones. they felt really stiff.

6. Tom McC says:

My great great Uncle (Thomas McCoubrie) was killed in WW1. He died in 1915 in the battle of Aubers Ridge, but his body was never found……. I visited a memorial with his name on it at Ploegsteert in Belgium. My great great Grandfather (Bevan) was the Captain of a boat in Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire; during WW1 the boat was used for mine sweeping instead of fishing!

7. LAYLA WILKINSON !!!!!!!!!!!! says:

My fun fact is that the Canadians stationed in our town Folkestone. I love learning about WW1!!!!!!!!!! WW1

8. Reuben Bexon-Bunt says:

I learnt that the war stopped for 10 days at christmas time and the soldiers played football together in no mans land.Also when the mustard gas was fired when it was breathed in it made the soldiers lungs collapse.

9. Lily Dallison says:

12 million letters were sent to the front every week

10. ok99 says:

I love learning about WW1 its so exiting.

An explosion in France was heard in London!

11. Daniel says:

In WW1a bomb fell in Tontine Street.
    I have really enjoyed learning about WW1.

12. Brodie D-H says:

I enjoy learning about World War 1 and the soldiers. During World War 1, dogs were used to carry messages in capsules attached to their body. Dogs also carried and placed telegraph wires in important areas.

13. Brodie D-H says:

I enjoy this topic because I wanted to learn about ww1 and the soldiers. During World War 1, dogs were used to carry messages in capsules attached to their body. Dogs also carried and placed telegraph wires in important areas.

14. Lukas says:

My fact is that Count Zeppelin invented the Zeppelin in Germany . They were invented before the war and were used as passenger aircraft’s . The first flight was over Lake Constance and then it was used for bombing all over Europe . While I was on holiday in Germany I saw Zeppelins flying over Lake Constance .

15. Kseniya says:

It was important to protect the ships which carried food and military supplies to the front, from the enemy. Norman Wilkinson had an idea of covering ships in bold shapes and bright contrasts of colour. This camouflage was supposed to confuse the enemy rather than hide the ships.

16. Garrett Llewellyn says:

Germans were the first to use flamethrowers in WWI. Their flamethrowers could fire jets of flame as far as 130 feet 40 m

17. Enola says:

Love learning about ww1its fans! My fun fact is jelly babies were invented just after ww1 and were originally called peace babies.

18. Erin-Nicole Newton says:

I think that learning about ww1 in the trenches is great because we learn new things and I think it’s fun to learn on the subject. Artefacts that people bring in is fascinating it really fun to learn. This is my fun fact jelly babies were known as peace babies because people thought of the peace after the war.

19. Sophie says:

I am really looking forward to the rest of WW1.
    FACT!
    The trenches are cold and damp and the war lasted for 4 years.

20. Charlie A says:

I have enjoyed learning about the trenches and how the soldiers battled in WW1, and about how the soldiers suffered with trench foot., I would not like to have suffered trench foot.

21. EL says:

Even though food was limited family sent food in packages.

22. Buddy Wiseman says:

Did you know that while our men were fighting in Europe, there mums, wives, sisters, aunties and friends were helping run the farms, factories, shops, coalmining and all the things their men did when not at war!

23. Charlie Le Bargy says:

The trenches were damp and horrible places to be

24. Tess cotterrill says:

I,ve enjoyed learning about WW1 !
    THIS IS MY FACT:
    If you tried to get through the barbed wire then you could easily get tangled up and be shot to pieces.