Where does our food come from?

Where does our food come from?

In Geography today, Year Four were investigating where food comes from.

We brought in lots of food packaging from home! We then identified where the food was produced by reading the text on the front and backs of packaging and also by recognising the flags of countries where the food had grown or been made.

We used an atlas to identify countries we were unsure of. DSCF0204 DSCF0203 DSCF0201 DSCF0198 DSCF0197 DSCF0196 DSCF0195 DSCF0192 DSCF0191 DSCF0189 DSCF0188 DSCF0187 DSCF0186 DSCF0185

These are some of the highlights of our learning:

“I’ve learnt that food comes from all around the world. Some foods are grown in cold places and some are grown in hot places.”

“I’ve learnt the term ‘food miles’. It means the distance that the food has travelled before it gets to you.”

“I’ve learnt what locally produced means. It means that the food has been grown and sold within a distance of 150 miles.”

“Today, I learned about the importance of Fair Trade.”

“I’ve learnt that the world comes to my house everyday, because of all of the different food I eat!”

“I’ve learnt that some foods travel 6000 miles before they reach us in England!”

Don’t forget! You can visit http://www.foodmiles.com/ to find out how far your food has travelled!